Well friends I am sitting in my bed at home recovering from hip 2 and need to thank you all for your prayers. I am going to recount the past 4 days of my life so this is going to be a little long however if you are interested in all the details stick with me.
We got a call on Monday before surgery that I had been bumped up in the schedule and needed to be at Bone and Joint at 7:30 which was very confusing to say the least since we were supposed to be there at 7 originally. We arrived and they took me to pre-op. I did all the fun pre-op stuff then they brought my mom and dad back to wait with me until I was taken to surgerical waiting. We waited and waited and waited until with what seemed like forever. About 10 the surgical scheduling nurse came and said that they were way behind because they only had one anesthesologist and usually they operate with 2. About 15 minutes later she came back with an anthestogolist who was the new replacement number 2 anthesologist. He told me they found him in a bakery down the street and that he would just put me to sleep with syrup. Some people think they are so funny. So they finally come get me and put my IV port in then take me the surgery room. That's right my friends I was not asleep until they actually got me in the operating room on the table. Can we say a little freaky? At mcbride I was asleep long before I made it the operating table. Anyway the next thing I know I wake up in recovery, they asked me how I was feeling and I told them I thought I was going to throw up and that it hurt. So they stopped the nausea then gave me my new best friend for the next 3 days the demerol pump. Last time they used morphine and I was deathly ill (ok maybe not but that is what it felt like). We then were able to go to my room (#320) and get settled. The first night went much better than last time for a few reasons. I was not sick and I had a PCA pump to control the pain. I go to sleep with no less than 300 interrruptions in the night.
When I wake up on day 2 at 5 am to take blood sample and talk to the peeps I was still feeling pretty good. At 5 am they took my vitals, took a blood test, sent in an intern, sent in another intern, then sent in the nurse. It was crazy in there. Apparently DR. T is working with a team of residents on orthopedic surgery so he sent 2 of the guys in. They were really nice but asked me the same set of questions. Its though. Dr. T didn't come that day but i was glad because I just wanted to rest. About 8:45 breakfast arrived then about 10:00 PT arrived for my first session. It was a little tough and I got a little emotional but pulled through and walked down the hall. Then one of my best friends came to see me in the afternoon. Thanks EDIE and that all my mom and dad break to go grab some lunch. They went to burger place that had homemade ice cream. They brought back homemade ice cream however I was afraid to eat it with a delicate stomach and not much moblitity if you know what I mean. We did PT again then I just got rest for the rest of the evening with frequent visits of course from the nursing staff and aides to take my vitals, check my blood sugar, and just visit me. We went to bed early because we knew it would be an early morning.
Day 3
5 am blood draw , interns (I asked one of them what time they started working because I was frustrated by them coming so early), vitals check followed by a surprise visit from Dr. T himself. I love that guy. He is so great and so super nice. He asked me how things were going and how PT went. I told him I walked as good as could be expected the day after hip replacement. He said you mean you weren't dancing. I told him not yet so we will see if that ever happens. He then gave me the great news that the goal was to go home on Friday. Yes. That was followed by breakfast then PT. PT was much easier the second day. I got to do all the fun exercises then walk. I couldn't believe how easy it was to walk when you have 2 good hips. It felt really good. That was followed by lunch a visit from Nancy and another PT session. In the meantime before that we took my IV out and I got to put on real clothes. yes. Nancy and my mom got to see me walk during my 2nd PT session and were amazed. I walked fast. It was great. My parents went to lunch at a mexican restaurant called La Luna and ranted and raved about how good it was while I ate a hospital hamburger and french fries. I also received the model patient award from my nurse. No complaints and no problems. I just pretty much kept to myself unless my pump ran out of demerol or I needed to go the bathroom.
Day 4 (TODAY)
5 am blood followed by one intern. The question of the day to the intern. Were you in the operating room when I had surgery. Here is the verdict: Dr T, Dr Rob (dr. T's PA) one intern (not this guy), anthesologist, surgerical nurse, other nurse. Crazy huh? He told me I was going home after I had one more PT session. Then DR. T. He came over and grabbed my hand and said it is good to see you today then followed with the instructions for going home. He then said he was on call 24/7 if I need anything they could page me. Followed by breakfast PT where I got off the bed myself and walked with the walker. Then discharge. We made it home at approximately 11:15. My daddo went and got the pain pills and lunch I rested then took a shower then rested and ate dinner and blogged.
I hope you made it through. MORE FUN STORIES TO FOLLOW IN THE COMING DAYS. If there is anything specific you want me to address please leave a comment and thanks for the prayers
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I'm glad you're blogging again. Keep us updated....
Post a Comment