Thursday, November 6, 2008
Time for the countdown to begin.
I went to my pre-op appointment yesterday and it kind of put in to perspective that this hip replacement thing is a lot closer than I ever imagined. That is right only 2 short weeks from tomorrow and I go under the knife. For a complete discription of the actual procedure please see one of my earlier blog posts. Yesterday I got to have a blood test, chest x-ray, ekg, and a physical exam to make sure I am healthy enough for surgery. Ok first of all I have a chronic illness known commonly as RA does that make me healthy. I think not. Second of all they perform this surgery on many people twice my age and beyond every day and they question whether I am healthy enough for surgery. Oh well. I guess I passed because I didn't have any phone calls today that they were cancelling surgery. Not only did I find out that I am healthy enough to have surgery but other fun things happened at my appointement yesterday. My favorite being meeting with the pre-admission nurse who started our conversation with this question. "What do you understand is going to happen to you?" To which I replied I am going to have total hip replacement on my right hip. Sorry Nita I didn't use the official medical term Total hip Arthoplasty. I didn't want to sound too smart and I was a little shocked at the question. I also did not respond with the technical discription which might have been fun you know to say I am going to have my hip bone sawed off and a new one put on. I also got the phone call about how much it was going to cost which wasn't as bad as we estimated. I also got this fun video which teaches me things like getting on and off the bed, getting out of a chair, and getting in an out of a car. (yes i have already watched it and have started praticing). I am actually going for the all star rehab award. Those little old men and women better watch out I am going to be racing them to see who can get up on a bed the fastest using our new hip precautions. I bet they haven't been practicing. Oh well. Keep me in your prayers. Thanks for reading and keep reading for updates.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment