I don't know if you have had x-rays in a while or ever on your hips, knees, and feet but it is an experience I don't want to have again soon. Did you know they do x-rays these days(maybe they have always done it this way) standing up? That's right I had to take a x-rays of my hips, knees, and feet all in the standing position. There are a few lessons I learned through this experience. Lesson 1: Don't wear jeans to a doctor's appointment if you think you are going to need to take x-rays of the lower half of your body. Of course I did not think this was going to happen but from now on I will dress for the occassion just in case. The first thing I had to do was to put a gown on because apparently you can't take x-rays through jeans. Luckily the x-ray tech came by to give me instructions on putting on the gown or I might have never gotten it on. I was confused on whether the opening went in the front or the back. Then I went to get the x-rays done. I was lucky enough to get the student x-ray tech. This particular student was deaf so we also had an interpreter. It got a little crowded in there with me, the x-ray tech, the x-ray tech student, and the interpreter. So we took x-rays of my hips then we moved on to x-rays of my knees and feet. Did I mention these were standing x-rays? So they pull these stairs over and say we need you to climb up so we can get the knees and feet. Does this sound like a good idea for someone who is having trouble with hips, knees, and feet? I don't think so. My little arthritic joints wouldn't hardly climb this 3 feet by 3feet by 3feet box. I almost fell off the box a couple of times. It was quite the experience. So we get all the x-rays done and I get off the box with the assistance of some of the personel in the crowded room. They develop the x-rays before they let me go to make sure they have what was ordered by my doctor. They come back out and say we are going to have to do your foot again. I said "I can't do that" so they said ok we will just note that on the x-ray and go on. Thank goodness. At this point I had been twisted like pretzel, risked my life standing on the edge of a 3 by 3 box, stood up forever, and had to put on a hospital gown. Enough trama for one day. I was so glad that x-ray experience was over. We go to see the first orthopedic specialist and he orders x-rays. I was a pro this time though. I did not wear jeans I wore knit pants and knew what to expect. This was only one stading pelvic x-ray. I thought surely these people have what they need by now. We all know my hips are bad do you need more proof, come on. Then I go to see my hip surgeon and they order more x-rays. This time I got to take them laying down. I had to roll on my side next to a wedge pillow to take these. I would take this kind anyday over the standing ones.
Lessons learned : If you remotely think you are going to need an x-ray the lower half of your body wear something they can take x-rays through to avoid wearing a hospital gown. Be ready to climb a mountain if it requires your knees or feet and don't be afraid to tell the x-ray tech you are not doing it anymore. Also start practicing balancing on a 3 by 3 platform now if you think you may need standing x-rays of your knees.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Maybe you could design a x-ray gown in your spare time!! You'd think those doctors could share those x-rays.
I love the fact that you "risked your life on the 3x3 box".
-Edie
Post a Comment